Operations and Quantitative Methods
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi Ph. D, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, 2008 (Research Topic: Performance evaluation of the petroleum industry supply chain: Case of the petroleum industry in India)
- Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok MBA in Management of Technology, 1993
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi M Tech. in Energy Studies, 1987
- University of Roorkee (now Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee) B.E in Mechanical Engineering, 1985.
July 2009 to present
Professor in the area of Quantitative Techniques & Operations Management at International Management Institute (IMI), Delhi Teach the subjects of Operations Management and Project Management to Post Graduate students Participate in Management Development Programs. Participated in such training programs for prominent companies including Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, Hindustan Zinc Ltd and Engineers India Ltd. Program Co-director for “Certificate Course In Operations Management” at IMI for foreign students (sponsored by Government of India under ITEC scheme). Initiated this three month training program which has now run successfully for six years. Ad hoc reviewer for Emerald journals and also for Global Business Review published by IMI Guide students for projects
April 2008 to June 2009
Professor of Operations Management at Institute of Management Education (IME) at Sahibabad near Delhi Taught courses on Statistics and Probability and Operations Management to post graduate students Actively involved in the participation of the Institute in the All India ranking of B-Schools. Guided students for summer training projects and dissertations. Conference Co-chair for the national level conference on Supply Chain Management & Competitiveness (SCMCC-08) held at IME, Sahibabad
Feb 2006 till April 2008
Director (NCR Centre) at the University of Petroleum & Energy Studies. Responsible for complete functioning of the Centre which had about 400 students. Later, Vice President (Academic Administration) at the same university. Taught courses on “Operations Management” and “Supply Chain Management” to MBA students. Supervised a number of dissertations for MBA students.
Aug 2001 to Jan 2006
Associate Professor at Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Ghaziabad in the area of Operations Management. Taught courses on Operations Management and Supply Chain Management at the Institute. Part of the syllabus review committee which was assigned the task of reviewing the portfolio of courses offered every term by the institute, and their detailed contents. Responsible for publication of the placement brochure for Executive Management students. Supervised summer internship projects for post graduate students.
Jan 2000 to July 2001
Visiting faculty at Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad. Taught the subjects “Technology Management” and “Project Management” to management students. Visiting faculty at University of Roorkee (now IIT, Roorkee). Taught the subject “Operations Planning & Control Systems” at the Department of Management Studies in the University to MBA students. Professional experience (Industry)
Dec 1996 to Jan 2000
Logistics Planning Manager with Indo-Mobil Ltd, a joint venture between Indian Oil Corporation and Mobil. The JV was in the business of manufacturing and marketing lubricants in India. In charge of preparing monthly production and distribution plans. Later Regional Logistics Manager-North, in charge of complete operations in North India.
Oct 1994 to Nov 1996
Project Manager with Tide Water Oil Co (India) Ltd for setting up a lubricating oil blending plant near Delhi at a cost of Rs 100 million. Responsibilities included: prequalification of contractors, co-ordination with contractor, consultant and architect for execution of work at site, monitoring of physical progress of work at site. Oct 1993 to Sep 1994 Deputy Manager Projects with Jay Bharat Maruti Ltd which is an ancilliary to Maruti Suzuki India Ltd). Worked on planning for facilities for short and medium sized batch production.
March 1987 to Sep 1993
Materials Officer with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd which is a premier organization in the petroleum sector in India. Duties included procurement/disposal of material through tendering, inspection and inventory control. Engineering Officer with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. Part of project team responsible for setting up LPG bottling plants in the country. Duties included supervision of work at site, co-ordination with suppliers and contractors, monitoring of progress of work.
- Varma, S, Wadhwa S, Deshmukh S G (2006), “Implementing supply chain management in a firm: issues and remedies”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Volume 18, No. 3, pp 223-243.
- Varma, S, Wadhwa S, Deshmukh S G (2008), “Evaluating petroleum supply chain performance: Application of Analytical Hierarchy Process to Balanced Scorecard”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing & Logistics, Volume 20 Issue 3, pp. 343-356.
- Varma, S, Wadhwa S, Deshmukh S G (2006), “Measuring productivity in the supply chain: use of the balanced scorecard”, Productivity, Volume 46, No. 2-3, pp 330-338.
- Varma, S, Wadhwa S, Deshmukh S G (2007) “Supply chain characteristics of the petroleum industry: The Indian context”, South Asian Journal of Management, Volume 14, Issue 2, pp 107-122.
- Varma, S, Wadhwa S, Deshmukh S G (2008), “Using DEA to measure performance of process industry supply chains”, IME Journal, Volume 2, No. 2, pp. 29-36.
- Varma, Siddharth and Deshmukn, S. G. (2009), "Evaluating petroleum supply chain performance: Overcoming shortcomings of Balanced Scorecard", Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management, Volume 10, Issue 4, pp. 11-22.
- Kumar, Sujit and Varma, Siddharth (2010), "Launching enterprise data back up and recovery solutions: the case of Ozonetel", International Journal of Technology Marketing, Volume 5, No. 1, pp. 15-26.
- Varma, Siddharth (2012), “Managing faculty demand in technical education: A supply chain model for the IITs”, South Asian Journal of Management, Volume 19, No. 4, pp. 124-136.
- Varma, Siddharth, Chaturvedi, Arvind and Bari, Naquibul K M (2015), “Exploring business opportunity and product mix for a fast food chain in Dhaka”, Management Insight, Vol 11, No. 2, pp. 1-
- Varma, Siddharth & Kumar, G Yohan (2016), "Stakeholder Analysis for a Cross Country Pipeline Project in India", South Asian Journal of Management, Vol 23, Issue 2, pp. 131-149.
- Varma, Siddharth & Gupta, Ruchika (2016), "A Study of Internet Banking Behaviour in the National Capital Region of Delhi", IIMS Journal of Management Science, Vol 7, Issue 2, pp. 245-255.
- Varma, Siddharth (2016), "Indian petroleum industry: some insights using Porter's Model", Journal of Energy & Management, Vol 1, No. 1, pp. 30-43.
- Varma, Siddharth; Chaturvedi, Arvind, Ashqar, Ashraf & Masoud, Khaldoun M S (2016), "Ready Mixed Concrete Plant: A Case Study in Project Feasibility" Amity Case Research Journal, Volume 5, pp. 20-24.
Conference proceedings (Chapters in Edited books)
- Siddharth Varma, Subhash Wadhwa and S.G. Deshmukh (2008), “Performance Measurement of Process Industry Supply Chains: A DEA Approach” in Business and Competitive Dynamics, (Eds D.P. Goyal, Manoranjan P. Ram and Taruna Gautam), Macmillan India Limited, Delhi, pp-26-36, ISBN 0230-63515-6.
- Varma, Siddharth (2008), “Petroleum Industry in India: Overview and supply chain challenges”, in Supply Chain Management for Competitiveness, (Eds. D P Goyal; Siddharth Varma), Macmillan India Ltd, Delhi, ISBN 9780230636576.
- Varma, Siddharth (2009), “Expansion of technical education in India: Managing faculty demand” in Reshaping Business Analysis & Solution, (Eds. D.P.Goyal and Taruna Gautam); Macmillan India Ltd., Delhi, pp. 286-291, ISBN 023-063-826-0.
- Madaan, Jitendra and Varma Siddharth (2010), "Improving performance of flexible reverse enterprise system" Supply Chain Management for Competitive Advantage, G. D. Sardana and Taruna Gautam, Macmillan India Ltd, Delhi, pp 140-149.
- Book Edited
- Supply Chain Management for Competitiveness (2008), (Eds. D P Goyal; Siddharth Varma), Macmillan India Ltd, Delhi, ISBN 9780230636576 .
- Papers in Conferences
- Khurana, R, Varma, S, Mandke V V, Wadhwa S (2005), “Modeling information bases with integrity in a mass customized supply chain”, Paper presented at Mass Customization and Personalization Conference (MCPC-05), Hong Kong, 18th -21st September.
- Kumar, Sujit and Varma, Siddharth (2009), "Marketing of Unified Data Management: A case of Ozonetel", International Conference of Business Cases (ICBC-09), November 26-27, Institute of Management Education, Sahibabad.
- Chaturvedi, Arvind; Varma, Siddharth; Dikko, Abdulmutallib Y. and Abdullah, Ahmad Salim, "Improving performance of a rice milling plant: Case of Kampus Agro", International Case Conference, IMT Nagpur, Goa, 29th November -1st December, 2012.
- Varma, Siddharth; Chaturvedi, Arvind; Ashqar, Ashraf and Masoud, Khaldoun, “Ready Mixed Concrete plant: A case study in feasibility” International Case Conference, IMT Nagpur, Goa, 29th November -1st December, 2012.
- Chaturvedi, Arvind and Varma, Siddharth, "Improving quality of Service: Case of an Indian restaurant in Lithuania”,International Conference on Management Cases, BIMTECH, NOIDA, 29th November, 2012.
- Gupta, Ruchika and Varma, Siddharth, “Cyber Threat Landscape of BRICS: A Comparative Assessment”, IEEE conference on Futuristic Trends in Computational Analysis and Knowledge Management, Amity University, Noida, 25-27th February, 2015
- Varma, Siddharth and Gupta, Ruchika, “Customer Perception & Behavioral Intention to Use Biometric Enabled e-Banking Services in India”, Conference on Global Business Environment: Strategies for Business Analytics and Cyber Security Management held at IMI, Bhubneshwar, 11th and 12th December 2015
- Varma, Siddharth; Chaturvedi, Arvind and Abishev, Chingiz, “Analyzing productivity of railway track machines in Kazakhstan, 9th ISDSI International conference held at Goa Institute of Management, Goa, January 2-4, 2016
- Chaturvedi, Arvind, Varma, Siddharth and Ngo Thi Sa Ly, “Causality between tourism expansion and economic development in Vietnam, 9th ISDSI International conference held at Goa Institute of Management, Goa, January 2-4, 2016
- Chaturvedi Arvind & Varma, Siddharth, "Customer perception of CSR and influence on purchase behavior", 10th ISDSI International Conference, Nasik, Dec 28-30, 2016.
- Varma, Siddharth; Chaturvedi, Arvind & Fono, Rony, "Assessing the quality of health services: Case study of a hospital in Tonga", 10th ISDSI International Conference, Nasik, Dec 28-30, 2016.
- Varma, Siddharth & Gupta, Ruchika, "Effect of technological innovation on customer satisfaction in the Indian Banking Industry", Conference on Innovation, Market Competition & Economic Development, IMI, Bhubneshwar, Dec 9-16, 2016.